solutions for cities
We find the data required to make a difference
Urban 360 provides integrated and flexible monitoring solutions for clients to measure improvements to urban environments and human health. We offer independent, world-leading expertise to monitor and evaluate a range of schemes, including Low Traffic Neighbourhoods, indoor air purification, pedestrianisation, urban development and transport upgrades.
Our service handles every stage of the process, and we select the best sensors and technologies for your needs based on rigorous scientific testing. Our clients can access real-time data through our award-winning data portal and benefit from easy-to-understand reports based on our industry-leading analytics.
As a spin-out company from the University of Manchester, we provide scientific levels of rigour, credibility and analysis.
We offer a cradle-to-grave monitoring and evaluation service, managing all third-party arrangements. We handle everything from the design of monitoring schemes, to the selection and deployment of sensors, and surveys to data analysis, modelling and decommissioning.
Our services include:
Our monitoring capabilities include:
We are Urban 360
Municipalities are required to monitor and improve air quality and physical activity. Developers want to show how their projects improve health and well-being. At the same time, the market has been flooded with a bewildering range of technologies and digital solutions.
We can help.
Urban 360 monitors and analyses air quality, mobility and health to understand what makes a difference to people’s lives. We integrate decades of academic expertise in environmental monitoring, health and well-being, data analytics and urban development. We offer non-proprietary solutions that do not lock clients into specific products, but help them select the right tools for the job based on scientific testing. We use cutting-edge analytics including counterfactuals, change point analysis, forecasting and weather normalisation to provide our clients with scientifically robust evaluations.
of the UK population lives in cities
of people in UK cities are breathing polluted air
Our missionHelping cities flourish while making the planet healthier
Fixing cities is the quickest way to improve people’s lives and address climate change. 84% of the UK population lives in cities and 98% breathe dangerously polluted air.
- Making cities more sustainable will reduce pollution and improve health, but currently, there is a lack of evidence about what works. We can help.
- By implementing new sensor technologies, we collect crucial data and monitor the impacts of change.
- By providing integrated monitoring and evaluation services, Urban 360 will be a global driver of urban health, helping address the most pressing challenge of the 21st Century.
Urban 360 was born at the University of Manchester. Creating sustainable and healthy cities requires better evidence about how urban planning and development affects health outcomes for people and communities. We created Urban 360 to address this mission.
- Dave is a Professor of the Digital Environment, working at the intersection of Atmospheric Science and data analytics. He has 141 scientific publications and focuses on how data can help cities analyse and predict change.
- James is a Professor in Smart Cities, with 84 publications addressing how technology can enhance urban sustainability.
- Tom is a Research Fellow whose current research activities involve in situ atmospheric measurements, coupled with IoT technologies to help cities monitor change.
- Jamie is a Research Fellow who has pioneered new techniques for monitoring health and well-being in places.
The Urban 360 Team. From left to right: Tom Bannan, Jamie Anderson, Dave Topping, James Evans.
We have extensive experience, attracting more than sixty million pounds of funded research with cities worldwide, and successfully delivering consultancy projects together in the past 24 months.
The Urban 360 team have successfully completed projects for clients across the public, charity and private sectors on time and to budget. Our unique service integrates environmental, transport and health monitoring, delivers scientific quality results, and is highly responsive to the evolving needs and challenging timescales of our clients. The case studies and research projects below give a flavour of our work to date.
Monitoring the UK’s largest Low Traffic Neighbourhood (LTN)
To discuss potentially working together, please phone us on +44 (0)161 399 3601 (Business hours 9-5 Monday-Friday) or request a call-back using the form below.